Friday 18 May 2012

Computing Employability Focus Group – Day 1 – Ste Brown


Today I met with the majority of the project team for the first time. In our meeting we read through the adopted case study of Exeter’s and devised a plan of the elements we aim to include in our case study. In addition to this, ideas on how we could improve on Exeter’s study were also discussed.

After this each member of the project team cracked on with their own tasks. Firstly, I filled in the “assessment of graduate skills” work sheet for my course, which as described in the post below, scores each module against a list of given employability skills.  

My other piece of work of the day was creating templates for both the course review and programme review. I created this to save time for other group members and to show them the kind of structure I’ll be using for the review of my particular programme. I think it’s a good idea that we all to stick to a similar-ish structure throughout the review of our different courses. Obviously there’s no obligation to use it, just an idea…

Final thought, I think we can create a superior case study in comparison to that of Exeter’s, mainly because we all have mad IT skills. Thus we can be more creative about what we put in the study and how it is presented.  For example I think we could include some graphs in there instead of just tabular data. We could aggregate the scores for each employability skill for a particular course and illustrate which skills are scoring highest for that course in a bar chart perhaps.  I’m sure there’s plenty more we can do but that’s my first thought on that…  

That’s all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment